Sputnik7 won Staff Pick this week on Sketchfab for our 3D recreation of a Wooden Coin Press, a hydraulic coin mill that was used to mint coins in Spain during the 17th century. The press is located at the Real Casa de Moneda in Segovia, Spain.
The model was created from over 500 photos taken using a Nikon D5600 with a Tokina AT-X 11-20mm Pro wide angle lens, known for its low distortion. The photos were processed using Reality Capture, which created the original 3D model at high detail. The model was then exported to 3DS Max where the geometry was cleaned up, and it was then re-imported into Reality Capture for final texturing before being published to SketchFab.
The press consists of four wooden wheels, three on the interior and 1 on the exterior. The exterior wheel is moved by the fall of the water from the river outside. It is connected to the press on the inside of the building where a system of gears moves the three wheels that power the press itself.
The interior wheels move two cylinders that perform the work of laminating or coining by pressing metal into dies that were molded to the shape of the coins to be created. The mill can be started or stopped by means of a handle that opens or closes the passage of water that falls on the outer wheel.
The original minting system of creating coins was replaced in 1771 by flywheel minting, a revolutionary technology that was imported from France by the Bourbons. From 1866, the industrial revolution then moved over to a mechanized coinage system, which was used until the implementation of the peseta in 1868.
The Real Casa de Moneda
This Real Casa de Moneda was one of the greatest displays of industrial heritage during the Spanish Renaissance. It was built by order of King Felipe II and was designed by the architect Juan de Herrera. Philip II wanted to create a large modern complex capable of symbolizing his absolute power and the wealth of the empire. The factory was a model of cutting-edge technology, applied to the production of currency located on a privileged enclave on the banks of the Eresma River, between the suburbs of San Lorenzo and San Marcos.